Our network


My Town Coopersville: DDA to consider property purchase

My Town Coopersville: DDA to consider property purchase

COOPERSVILLE, Mich.—The City of Coopersville may soon have a new piece of property to carry out city programs.

In a memo sent to Downtown Development Authority members,  DDA Director Steven Patrick says the undisclosed property would “enhance a variety of services and events the City and the DDA have supported over the years.”  Patrick hopes to enlist the help of two or three DDA members to develop a proposal for the property within the next six to eight weeks.

The DDA’s regular meeting begins at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, July 8 inside Coopersville City Hall.

Gas line break closes 64th Ave. in Coopersville

COOPERSVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) -- One business has been evacuated and an intersection closed following a natural gas line break.

Ottawa County authorities say a construction crew severed the line around 8:45 a.m. Friday along 64th Avenue. The road is closed between Randall and Main Street.

Utility crews were on the scene working to repair the problem.

Berlin Fair this week

MARNE, Mich. (WZZM) - One of Michigan's oldest fairs kicks off Monday in Marne. Families can check out agriculture and craft shows while catching a ride or a show throughout each day of the week long festival.

The Berlin Fair takes place June 16-21 at the same location as the Berlin Raceway. Click here for a list of activities, and click the attached video for a preview of some of the events.

WZZM 13 is a proud sponsor of the Berlin Fair, and on Monday, ride wristbands will be discounted to $13 per person.

My Town Coopersville: Growing manufacturer requests tax breaks

My Town Coopersville: Growing manufacturer requests tax breaks

COOPERSVILLE, Mich.—  Community members are invited to weigh in on a growing manufacturer's request for tax breaks.

The Coopersville City Council will consider the request by Keyser's Port City Racing during its regular meeting June 9.  Port City Racing is requesting a 12 year Industrial Facilities Tax Exemption on more than $787,000 worth of equipment.

City Manager Steven Patrick is recommending the approval of the tax break, given Port City's continued involvement in the community and growing workforce.  In October, owner Scott Keyser requested a tax break on new equipment, leading to eight new jobs at the facility, located at 540 Danforth St.

Approximately 75 percent of annual sales by Keyser's Port City Racing come from parts built in Coopersville.  The remaining 25 percent is from items sold out of its warehouse. 

Monday's meeting begins at 7 p.m.

My Town Coopersville: Class of 2014 prepares for a new chapter

My Town Coopersville: Class of 2014 prepares for a new chapter

COOPERSVILLE, Mich.—A new chapter has begun for Coopersville High School’s graduating class of 2014.

On Wednesday, May 28, 178 seniors accepted their diplomas. Approximately 2,500 people attended the ceremony, which lasted about 90 minutes.

Principal Pete Bush says 83 percent of the graduating class will be continuing on to higher education.  Bush says one-third of the graduates will attend community college; the remaining students will be spread across vocational schools as well as 30 four-year universities, including Grand Valley State University, Ferris State University, Central Michigan University, Baker College, Davenport University and Michigan Tech. 

My Town: Goats on the loose at Eastmanville Bayou

My Town: Goats on the loose at Eastmanville Bayou

OTTAWA COUNTY, Mich—Visitors to Eastmanville Bayou will encounter the county’s new set of four-legged landscapers.

The Ottawa County Parks and Recreation Department says a herd of grazing goats has been released at the bayou to begin its work reducing invasive species.  Visitors are welcome to watch the goats at work, but should remain clear of the electric fence surrounding them and not pet the goats.  Plant oils from the poison ivy and other invasive plants the goats are munching on could be on the goats’ coats, making them transferrable to humans.

The goats are also being used at Bur Oak Landing in Coopersville and Riverside Park in Grand Haven. 

Coopersville, Walker company receive state funds

LANSING, Mich. (WZZM) - A Walker company and the City of Coopersville have both received state support for new economic development projects.

Nearly $350 million was doled out from the state Tuesday. The new investments are expected to bring nearly 900 jobs to the state.

In Walker, Challenge Mfg. Company, LLC will be building a 400,000 square foot facility in Pontiac and is expected to create 450 new jobs. Challenge received $1 million in March of 2013 and exceeded in created 180 jobs ahead of schedule, so now needs to expand. The funding will keep the expansion in Michigan instead of moving to Ontario. To apply for jobs with Challenge, go to http://challenge-mfg.com/careers/